Getting a passport is not easy, especially if the address has to be changed etc…recently had to renew the passports of my parents and thought of sharing some important updates which are NOT in the website of the passport organization, but demanded always/mostly. Better be prepared than sorry :).
This was my first experience with the PSK – Passport Seva Kendra (all along have been happy with the district passport office in Adyar)
1. Senior Citizens can walk in without appointment from 10am to 1pm ONLY in Saligramam PSK (even though the website will say all)
2. If you are providing telephone bill as your address proof, only BSNL telephone bill will be accepted and the latest bill + last 2 months bills have to be submitted…it is not enough if you have the latest bill alone
3. Bank statement, passbook – should have last 1 year entries
4. For address proof, better to have one more as standby along with one primary, just in case, as I have heard about 2 address proofs being asked
5. Otherwise, getting an appointment online is like Lottery, all slots which open at 2pm, gets over in 1 min…and if you are trying to book appointment for 2 people from the same system…you cannot book more than 1 appointment from the same IP!!!..
For the record, Thank God, my parents were able to apply the passport from PSK Saligramam, as walkin. The process was very smooth and more so was the receipt of passport on the 8th day…amazing how privatization can change things around. This is the way to go!!!!
Be ready for an adventure!!!…mine coming up in 2014!!!